Sunday, September 11, 2005

U.S. Open Finals

Well, I couldn’t really have been any more disappointed than I am with the outcomes of the finals. Pierce lost to Clijsters, and Agassi lost in a heartbreaking match to Federer today. I expected Agassi to just completely crumble and be humiliated in straight sets. That was certainly not the actual outcome. He lost the first set, won the second set, and lost the third set in a crushing tie break. That tie break caused the ultimate breakdwon in the fourth set, leaving Federer with $1.1 million and Agassi with a silver plate. (Yes, he got half a million for his time today, but that just wasn’t the point!)

You just can’t help but like the guy, and I think it’s his class and the manner in which he conducts himself both on and off the court.

As far as Pierce is concerned, that was an easy two set annihilation for Clijsters. It was over in about 45 minutes, I think. Pierce just completely buckled. But what I witnessed when the players met at the net was unlike anything I had ever before seen happen at that potentially awkward and contentious moment. Pierce and Clijsters hugged, kissed, and then Pierce whispered something rather lengthy into Clijster’s ear, which prompted Clijster’s face to erupt with this huge smile. And then when speaking to the crowd, Pierce kept it simple and humble...”Kim, you’re just too good. You deserve this.”

Question: Can you IMAGINE either of those Williams animals demonstrating even 5% of this level of sportsmanship and class? I am thankful that they are slowly but surely disappearing into the abyss. Nobody takes them seriously anymore. Tennis is slowly but surely being de-ghettoed.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were into tennis. Learn something new every day.