Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Patient #1

Today was my first day on the unit at the hospital. I took care of my first patient, and she lived to tell!

This semester, I will be spending every Wednesday morning from 7:45am - 12:15pm working as a student nurse on the post-operative med-surg unit at Beth Israel Medical Center. I will be exposed to all kinds of patients, so this is a really good introduction to the clinicial environment.

My first patient was a 55 year old female that had an unsuccessful angioplasty, followed by an aortic bypass, and now has pnuemonia while recovering from all of that. When I get the assignment in my group's pre-conference, I was a bit stunned. I was really hoping for, I don't know...skinned knee, bad headache, something like that. No, instead I got a woman who is literally stitched together.

Well, after nearly throwing up, I walked into her room and introduced myself. I explained that I am a student nurse, and that I was going to be available for her to try to help her in whatever ways I could for the morning. I then told her that I don't know enough to hurt her, so she shouldn't worry. That got a good laugh out of her, and it broke the ice.

She was terrific. I did temperature, pulse, respirations, and blood pressure on her. I helped her out of bed and into a chair, cleaned her room, etc. She talked to me about her medical situation, how she misses her job, and how she really hopes to get back to work eventually.

When I left for the day at around noon, I returned to the room to thank her for being my first patient. I told her that I will never forget her, as she was very kind and accommodating to being poked and prodded by a student with only 4 weeks of nursing school under his belt. She told me that it was her pleasure, and that she enjoyed having a private nurse for the morning. She then wished me the very best of luck and shook my hand.

I don't think it could have gone any smoother than that. What a great day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be first to comment on this experience. If anyone ever had any doubts as to your choice of careers, those doubts should be quashed with this blog. I could see your compassion shining through with this writing. Obviously your patient did also. You are truly a gem.

Anonymous said...

That was actually very touching, I have to say.

Anonymous said...

i am a blog virgin no more. thank you sheck for sharing with me your blog. i love it.