Friday, November 18, 2005

Nursing Tip 001

We'll start with something simple.

Issue:
Nose Bleed

Real Name:
Epistaxis

Etiology (What causes it?):
Blood vessel injury resulting in localized bleeding. Can be caused by dry air, dehydration, irritations from allergens, irritation from rubbing

Effective Interventions:
Apply pressure to bridge of nose. Also apply cold compress to bridge of nose. Both of these measures cause vasoconstriction, which is a constricting of the blood vessels of the nose, which will help to slow and eventually stop bleeding.

DO NOT:
Throw your head back!! BAD!!! The blood could rush to the throat and cause choking.

++++++++++++++

Additional comments from the student nurse:
Did you ever hear the story of how in the middle of a concert, (I believe it was all-district band in high school), I was playing my clarinet (shut up!) and my nose started bleeding profusely. I was looking at my music...playing a little clarinet section solo within the piece, and all of a sudden there was blood pouring down the silver parts of my clarinet and down my hands, onto my chair. I nearly threw up from the sight of the blood. I had to get up in the middle of the piece, clanking chairs, and music stands, stumbling over people to get off the stage so I could stop the hemorrhaging.

True story. You can't make this stuff up. Too bad I didn't have a piece of ice with me at the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that like it was yesterday (and so does Donna Greco).

Anonymous said...

Clarinet in all-district band in high school?!?!? Did you go to band camp too? Will the mysteries surrounding you never end???? (sorry I couldn't "contain" myself)

Anonymous said...

It was the most memorable concert ever.

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget it.